Lately, Sundays are in the running for my favorite day of the week. Sure, on Sunday it’s a bummer that Monday is just around the corner, but with football in season, I feel like Sundays are made for relaxing- watching the game, doing a crossword, reading a good book, and of course, eating well.
If Sundays are made for relaxing, then it naturally follows that slow cookers are made for Sundays. They make delicious meals such a snap to put together, with minimal effort. Just assemble a few quick ingredients, walk away for a few hours, come back, and you’re good to go! What could be easier?
This simple slow cooker chicken shares the spotlight with a light, crisp and tangy pineapple salad, tossed with a cilantro lime vinaigrette. Combined with rice and the heat of crushed red pepper flakes, this is a dish that combines flavors, colors and textures perfectly.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups salsa verde
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ a large cucumber, diced
- ½ a fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- ½ a red bell pepper, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1½ cup rice
- Add chicken breasts and salsa verde to your slow cooker. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes, to your liking. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- About a half hour before chicken is done, cook your favorite rice according to package directions (if you’re using a rice cooker, use 3 cups water for 1½ cups rice).
- Once the chicken is cooked through, shred with two forks and allow to cool slightly while you assemble the salad.
- Combine chopped pineapple, cucumber and red pepper in a medium bowl. In another bowl, combine lime juice, cilantro and crushed red pepper flakes, and whisk in olive oil to make a dressing. Add the dressing to the pineapple salad and toss.
- Make your rice bowl: Start with a base of rice, then add a spoonful of shredded chicken. Garnish with the pineapple salad, and enjoy!
Inspired by The Gracious Pantry.
Happy Eating 🙂