While there are a lot of great things about finding the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, there’s also a lot to consider when it comes to making that decision to take the plunge and go all in.
For example, what if your opinions differ on work-life balance? Do you both want kids? If so, how many? What about religion? And on the lighter (but I think just as important) side, are they neat or messy? Do they like the same movies and TV shows as you? When do they like to take their showers?
Relationships are about taking into account all these different preferences and quirks and creating a home life that is not just a compromise, but a well-oiled machine where both parties feel as though their needs and wants are being appreciated and valued. It is not easy. I am by no means an expert. But the fun of making a new life with your partner can often come through the discovery process about what works and what doesn’t. And of course, making time for the both of you to just enjoy being around each other is absolutely fundamental to any relationship.
One of my absolute favorite things to do with my fiance is going out date night at a restaurant. I don’t care if we just go to the bar down the street, or a 5-star steakhouse, or the taqueria downtown- I just LOVE going on dates (and not having to do the dishes…). We both have a wedding to think about so we are trying to save our pennies where we can, but there are nights where I just don’t feel like cooking- and all I want is a slice of pizza. Or a fish taco. Or chicken fingers. Or sushi. Or… ya get the idea.
We had an excellent date night last week (if I may say so myself) at a new Italian joint that opened a few blocks away from us in downtown Jersey City called Roman Nose. They are a cute little spot with outdoor seating and some of the BEST meatballs, pizza and pasta I’ve had in a while. We were able to get some info out of our waiter regarding the ingredients of their famous meatballs, which included a blend of ground beef, pork and veal, as well as the use of cheeeeeeese inside the balls! Similar to my favorite burger recipe, what’s not to love about including your favorite toppings inside the whole shebang to begin with?
Who said date nights couldn’t also be educational? 🙂
So here’s my attempt at a little re-creation of these awesome balls… I loved using a combo of the ground beef and pork, and the cheese really brought the oomph flavorwise. I served these along side cavatappi pasta and my absolute favorite recipe for tomato sauce. Check out the recipe below!
- 1 lb ground meat (I used half ground beef and half ground pork)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients except the olive oil, and mash together by hand or with a spoon. Form 6-8 2″-diameter balls and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Gently place the meatballs in the skillet and cook until brown and crispy, making sure to flip the meatballs every 4-5 minutes to get all sides brown.
- Transfer the meatballs to an ovenproof baking dish and bake for another 5-10 minutes to make sure they are cooked through.
- Serve alongside pasta and a good tomato sauce. Enjoy!
What’s your go-to move for date night?
Happy eating 🙂