WOW! I am 4 days away from speaking at BlogHer Food ’13. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bit nervous… but I am equally excited too. I am really looking forward to meeting some new food bloggers and of course all the excursions around Austin! I LOVE the food scene in Austin and I am seriously looking forward to chowing down on some BBQ, and tacos, and kulaches, and….. well, everything!
So about this recipe. What’s your favorite Thai dish? Tough question, huh?
For me, it’s a toss-up between Tom Kha Gai (coconut lime soup with chicken) and Tom Yum (hot and sour with rice noodles) soups, Pad Thai (of course), and this red curry chicken. I love the spicy, citrusy flavors used in Thai cooking and it’s such a go-to for takeout for me whenever I’m out of energy to make a meal.
However, even though ordering Thai is as easy as clicking a mouse nowadays, this recipe is surprisingly easy to make at home, and tastes damn near the same as what I get from delivery. The bright ginger and garlic flavors play perfectly off the spicy red curry paste and smooth coconut milk. You could make this vegetarian by substituting your favorite vegetables or tofu for the chicken, as well.
Side note, if you love Thai cuisine and want the low-down on how to cook authentic Thai dishes at home, do yourself a favor and check out SheSimmers. One of my favorite blogs with a refreshing tone and gorgeous photos.
One thing I want to facepalm myself for forgetting to add is sliced bamboo shoots… those are one of my favorite parts about the red curry chicken I order from the local takeout joint, and I completely forgot to put them in here. If you do decide to use those in this recipe, I’d add them alongside the red peppers.
- ⅔ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1.5 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into slices
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated with a zester
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated with a zester
- ½ cup water
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Steamed brown rice and lime wedges, for serving
- In a small bowl, add the coconut milk, red curry paste, and fish sauce and stir to incorporate. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tbsp of the vegetable oil and allow to get very hot. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel, and season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pan, and allow to brown before flipping, about 4-5 minutes. Once chicken is nicely browned, remove to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- In the same pan, add the red bell pepper. Allow to crisp up for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger and saute everything for another minute. Add the chicken, red curry mixture, and water to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for another 2-3 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve alongside rice and lime wedges, and garnish with cilantro.
Recipe adapted from Food Network.
Happy Eating 🙂