Welcome back to #cookieweek! As you saw on Monday, Susan of The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen and Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic have joined together this week with 23 of our blog friends to present to you a week of cookie treats! We have every type of cookie you can think of listed this week, including something for our furry friends! Now is the time to bookmark these recipes for the upcoming holidays and cookie swaps or simply visit our Pinterest board! Make sure you enter the giveaway with some fabulous prizes from KitchenAid, King Arthur Flour, OXO, Silpat and Zulka Pure Cane Sugar to help with your cookie making needs!
I feel that ginger is one of the key flavors of the holidays. My house smells like Christmas just from making these cookies- something about the slightly spicy, sweet aroma of baking with warm spices like ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg really puts me in the mood to get festive.
These cookies have a special place in my heart. When we first moved into the apartment where we live now, our new neighbors across the hall welcomed us with a plate full of these homemade cookies. It was so sweet and heartwarming to be welcomed into a new home like that, and it really made the whole transition process of moving much easier.
I ended up begging my neighbor for the recipe (ok, politely asking, I do have some dignity), and that’s what I’m sharing with you today!
I adjusted the flavor of these slightly by halving the measurements of the ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg that were suggested in her original recipe, to appease the palates of those who may not want too much spice in their cookies. But if you are a ginger junkie, please know that you can double those measurements- your cookies will come out a shade or two darker in color though.
- ¾ cup butter (1.5 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- Granulated sugar, for coating
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and honey and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Add dry ingredients in batches to the wet ingredients and mix well. Cover dough and chill for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll tablespoonfuls of dough and dip to coat in the granulated sugar. Place on a parchment- or silpat-lined baking sheet, and bake for 10-12 minutes until puffy and cracked on top.
So it’s my last day of #cookieweek here on Total Noms, but don’t forget, the party continues for the rest of the week. on many of the other great food blogs that are participating.
Here’s a look at what’s going on today for all your cookie needs!
- Bacon & Parsley Puppy Treats by Omeletta
- Cinnamon Chip Snickerdoodles by In The Kitchen With KP
- Coconut Chai Chocolate Chip Cookies by Beyond Frosting
- Flourless Fluffernutter Thumbprint Cookies from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Homemade Funfetti Cookies by i heart eating
- Linzer Cookies from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
- Peanut Butter Hazelnut Cookies by Love and Confections
- Peanut Butter Pinwheels by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Peppermint Meringue Pillow Cookies by It’s Yummi!
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Biscotti from Chocolate Moosey
- Oatmeal Rum Raisin Cookies by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Samoa Macaroons by 52 Kitchen Adventures
- Sandwich Cookies by Texana’s Kitchen
Don’t forget to enter the killer giveaway that we announced on Monday!
See you next week with some tasty Thanksgiving sides ideas. What? You haven’t started planning your menu yet? Don’t worry, I got you covered!
Happy Eating 🙂