Savory, light, and crispy ham and cheese pinwheels are a perfect appetizer or quick lunch idea!
As I mentioned a few weeks back, I’m on a huge bring-my-lunch-to-work kick lately and I’m always looking for ideas on quick, portable meals that won’t break the bank or leave me longing for takeout.
While these ham and cheese pinwheels are perfect as appetizers, they actually make for the perfect lunch too! And they’re dead simple to make- god bless frozen puff pastry!
Ever have unexpected guests pop up at your house and you need something quick to serve? I love keeping puff pastry in my freezer for moments like this! Just a few slices of Swiss cheese, a dollop of Dijon mustard and some deli ham, and you’re in business.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed from frozen
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 4-5 slices swiss cheese
- 4-5 slices deli baked ham
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Make sure puff pastry is thawed and easily un-foldable- this will take about 40 minutes from when you take out from the freezer.
- Lay puff pastry flat on a clean surface lightly dusted with flour. Spread the dijon mustard over top using an offset spatula, knife or spoon. Arrange the cheese slices a single layer over top, then cover with the ham slices, again in a single layer.
- Starting with the shorter side facing you, roll up the puff pastry tightly, as if you were making a jelly roll. When you get to the end, press to create a seam for the pastry so nothing can leak out.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the roll into 16 equal pieces. I do this by cutting the roll in half, then those halves in half, and so on. The pieces should be about ¼”-1/2″ thick.
- Whisk together the egg and 1 tsp of water. Brush the pinwheels with the egg wash.
- Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat for 15 minutes. Let cool slightly and enjoy!
And don’t forget to check out my step-by-step video below to learn how to make these!
So tell me, what are your Valentine’s Day plans!?
Happy Eating 🙂