What’s your idea of a perfect breakfast? Eggs over easy? Short stack of pancakes? Green smoothie? Denver omelet?
I don’t know about you, but I always have a hard time deciding between sweet and savory. But something about a nice plate of crisp, light waffles always hits the spot. And when they’re filled with mini chocolate chips? Forget it- sold!
And if you’re like me and can’t decide between sweet and savory, you can always throw on a side of bacon for good measure with these waffles. 🙂
- 1½ cups milk
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 eggs, separated into yolks and whites
- 1¾ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Heat up your waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. Lightly grease with butter, oil or cooking spray.
- Combine milk, oil, and egg yolks in a bowl and beat together until combined. In another bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix together until just combined. Pour in the chocolate chips and stir.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites using a mixer or whisk until you see stiff, but not dry peaks. Fold the egg whites into the waffle batter, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour batter into the waffle iron (amount will depend entirely on your specific waffle iron, so read the manual!), and cook for 3-4 minutes, until nice and golden brown. Serve with syrup, caramel, or nutella… and enjoy!
I enjoyed these bad boys with a side of salted caramel sauce and some nutella, because YOLO and sometimes maple syrup just isn’t enough.
Many thanks to my best lady Jill for sending me the recipe for these amazing breakfast treats- She’s the one who got us our waffle maker to begin with as a wedding gift. Good friend, huh?
Happy Eating 🙂