Green beans are boring, right? It’s pretty much a fact. When they come from a can (shudder), they’re often mushy, lackluster in color, and tasteless. I find steamed green beans are often the same way- no texture, no real flavor.
I’m here to tell you that green beans CAN be sexy. Making the best green beans ever requires only a few easy tricks:
First step? Put away the steamer and/or the canned beans. We’re going fresh here.
Second step? Browned butter. Yup.
Third step? One of my favorite flavors: dijon mustard. This brings these beans up about seven notches, flavorwise.
The best thing is these are a total snap to make! In 10 minutes you will have a killer side that even picky eaters and former green-bean-haters will enjoy.
These, my friends, are…. the most interesting green beans in the world.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed of their ends
- kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- zest of one lemon + 1 tsp juice, for garnish (optional)
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter and allow to melt. Once the bubbling subsides and brown bits appear in the butter, add the green beans right away and a sprinkling of kosher salt. Toss to coat the beans in the butter and allow to cook for 3 minutes, until the beans are bright green and starting to show signs of browning.
- Add the garlic to the skillet with the beans and allow to cook for a minute, stirring every so often. Add the dijon mustard and toss again to coat everything.
- Remove to a serving dish and garnish with lemon zest and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Happy Eating 🙂