Welcome back to #cookieweek! As you saw on Monday, Susan of The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen and Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic have joined together this week with 23 of our blog friends to present to you a week of cookie treats! We have every type of cookie you can think of listed this week, including something for our furry friends! Now is the time to bookmark these recipes for the upcoming holidays and cookie swaps or simply visit our Pinterest board! ;Make sure you enter the giveaway with some fabulous prizes from KitchenAid, King Arthur Flour, OXO, Silpat and Zulka Pure Cane Sugar to help with your cookie making needs!
I have really been looking forward to sharing this decadent, buttery maple cookie recipe with you today! It’s perfect for #cookieweek, especially given this time of year.
Real maple syrup is one of those ingredients that is synonymous with the atmosphere and physical nature of the fall season. I (and plenty of other Northeast-ers) will maintain that the warm, sweet and somewhat earthy flavor of maple syrup is one of those things that you simply cannot replicate in a lab. I admit, I am one of those people who prefer my pancakes bare rather than subject them to the gloppy, saccharine, chemical-laden goops that make up the majority of “syrup” you’ll find at the grocery store or in a diner.
Because there are so few, simple ingredients in these cookies, the quality of your maple syrup definitely comes into play with this recipe. Maple is the primary flavor in these cookies, so you need something with a strong and satisfying enough flavor to hold its own.
Look for syrups from Vermont or Canada- a dark amber color is ideal, preferably Grade B if you can find (and afford) it. If all you can find is Grade A, try and select the darkest syrup you can. For a good resource on the differences between different types of syrup grades and colors, check out this article on Huffington Post Taste.
- ¾ cup butter (1.5 sticks) at room temperature
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2¼ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup maple syrup (Grade B if you can find/afford it)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cream together the butter and dark brown sugar with an electric mixer until well-combined and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until just smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in 3-4 increments, alternating with the maple syrup (starting and ending with the flour).
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to drop cookie dough by the tablespoonful on a parchment or silpat-lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until edges are very lightly brown.
- Let sit on the hot baking sheet for 3 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack. Let cool slightly then enjoy!
Recipe from Serious Eats/Cakespy.
To get the step-by-step instructions on how to make these buttery maple delights from scratch, take a peek at my video recipe tutorial:
Stay tuned tomorrow for my last #cookieweek post- it’s another cold-weather crowd-pleaser!
While we’re on the subject, don’t forget to check out all the other amazing #cookieweek posts today!
- Black Forest Sandwich Cookies by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chewy Cocoa Fudge Cookies by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies by i heart eating
- Macadamia and White Chocolate Chip Cookies by In The Kitchen With KP
- Maple Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Cups by Beyond Frosting
- kitchen-sink-cookies by Texana’s Kitchen
- Nutella Cookies by NinjaBaking.com
- Nutmeg Logs by Love and Confections
- Oatmeal Raisin by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Peanut Butter Blossoms by Like Mother Like Daughter
- Pumpkin and Apple Dog Cookies by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Raspberry Streusel Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Soft Pumpkin Sugar Cookies with Cinnamon Frosting by Chocolate Moosey
- Spicy Ginger Chews by Crumb
- Vodka Cookies by Masala Herb
And if you haven’t already, please be sure to enter our #cookieweek giveaway going on all this week! There are some amazing prizes there, so be sure to enter!
Happy Eating 🙂