HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Where the heck did this month go? To say it was one of the best months of my life is an understatement, but we’ll get to that soon 🙂 October was a decidedly sweet month here on the blog, with desserts and sweet breakfast ideas heavily outweighing savory recipes. But that’s okay, because we’re headed into Thanksgiving! The season of decadent savory sides and of course, the main event- turkey! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year, and I can’t wait to share some really great recipes with all of you.
With that, let’s get started on Total Noms’ October 2013 Roundup!
On the blog this month:
Between cookies, cupcakes, skillet cakes, and sweet breakfast treats, it’s safe to say that sweets reigned this month- which is appropriate for the holiday today! This month I also had three amazing guest bloggers to thank for helping me out while I was away, sharing some delicious recipes with you all!
Brown Butter Butterscotch Cookies: I dreamed these little cookies up while playing around with some of my favorite flavors- and we all know that brown butter makes everything better. These were a big hit with my friends- I bet they will be with yours, too!
Pumpkin Spice Waffles: ‘Tis the season, right? Fall is all about pumpkins, and I’m all about waffles. Voila! Pumpkin waffles, paired with real maple syrup? Yeah. Talk about a perfect autumn morning!
Broccoli Pesto: The lone savory recipe in this month’s spate of sweets, this broccoli pesto was the brainchild of my final guest poster, my dearest Susan from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. I cannot wait to try this delicious pesto with my next giant bowl of pasta!
Dutch Baby Pancake with Apple-Cranberry Compote: This was one of the the first things I cooked up when we got home from our honeymoon- and it was such an easy, tasty and unique breakfast. Plus the apple-cranberry compote is the perfect fall condiment for sweet dishes!
Pumpkin Honey Beer Bread: You will be shocked how easy it is to make bread with beer. Pumpkin puree, pumpkin ale, and honey flavors all combine to make one seriously tasty bread.
Recipes I gotta try:
- Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Pot Pie: This one came to my attention via a comment on my Facebook page. Apparently, I’ve been doing chicken pot pie wrong my whole life- in the Pennsylvania Dutch tradition, pot pie is actually a soup! It sounds so interesting (and tasty!) that I’m going to have to try it soon.
- Chicken Schnitzel by What’s Gaby Cooking: What’s Gaby Cooking is one of my new favorite blogs, and I love her recipe for Chicken Schnitzel. My husband (!!!) and I both love schnitzel, and I really can’t wait to make this for us both soon.
- If I could dive into a giant bowl of frosting (I think about these things, okay?) it would HAVE to be this Pumpkin Cashew Frosting from Minimalist Baker, another new favorite blog. Believe it or not, it’s 100% vegan and ridiculously simple to make, too!
- My friend Ali from Inspiralized made an amazing Lemon Garlic Broccoli Zucchini Pasta with Prosciutto and Toasted Breadcrumbs that looks so good. Ali’s blog specializes in all things Spiralized noodles, which are noodles made out of vegetables! She’s got some really creative recipes, so definitely check her out.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins by Sally’s Baking Addiction: What can I even say? The recipe name is made up of three of my favorite things. Combined, it makes for muffins that are just too dang good. These are definite contenders for post-Thanksgiving breakfast this year!
Other things from October:
- So…. yeah. I GOT MARRIED THIS MONTH! I’d say that was pretty much the biggest October highlight for me 🙂 For more on the wedding and our amazing honeymoon to Aruba, check out this post!
- In just as exciting news (uh…) I have set up a brand spankin’ new, self-updating, full-of-pretty-pictures Recipe Index here on Total Noms! You can always access the Recipe Index up top in the navigation bar, under my logo. Just click on a category button, and you’re on your way to finding a fabulous recipe!
- And finally, I started up the Total Noms YouTube channel! I only have one video up, from my post earlier this week on Pumpkin Honey Beer Bread, but I’m planning on doing lots more. Don’t forget to subscribe!
What’s coming up in November:
- I am signed up for a Food Writing class at ICE (the Institute of Culinary Education) starting November 5, and continuing weekly for four weeks! I hope I can pick up a few tips and really improve the writing around here. I mean, there’s only so many times I can use the words “delicious”, “tasty”, “yummy”… etc. in the same post, so GET PUMPED.
- It’s my husband’s birthday on November 4th! What should I make him… a cake? cupcakes? I made him red velvet whoopie pies last year, and those were a big hit. Hmm… I’ll think of something!
- Starting Monday, November 11, a bunch of amazing food bloggers and I will be hosting #cookieweek! That’s right, an ENTIRE week dedicated to the best baked goods ever, and my dessert of choice: the cookie! More details to come soon!
- Thanksgiving is coming- my most favorite holiday EVER! I’ll be sure to have a bunch of delicious recipes to share with you, but stay tuned to my Facebook and Google+ page, subscribe to my updates on Twitter, and add me on Pinterest to see all the amazing things I’m finding around the blogs and recipe sites that you should check out as well.
What a month, and so much to look forward to! Thanks for reading, as always!
Happy Eating 🙂