Happy last day of September, y’all! We’re heading into the homestretch of 2013, believe it or not- tomorrow starts Q4 for all your business nerds out there! A lot has happened this past month, so to make sure you didn’t miss a thing, here we are: Total Noms’ September 2013 Roundup!
What I made this month:
September was a FUN month for food on Total Noms. We had a great mix of sweet and savory, started to see some fall flavors coming in, and I got to share a bunch of my favorite treats, both healthy and decadent!
Guacamole: I love this delicious and classic dip, and there are as many ways to make it as there are avocado trees in the world (not fact-checked. Do avocados even grow on trees?) My recipe is simple, spicy, and super addictive.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Oreo Brownie Bars: By far, this was one of my most popular posts in a while- and with obvious reason. While they often go by a more risque name, I made these brownies to help out with OXO’s #OXOGoodBrownie cause for pediatric cancer, so I kept it PG for the kids Regardless of their name, these brownies are the BOMB.
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos: You guys loved pinning this recipe, and I don’t blame you! This is one of those great slow-cooker recipes perfect for fall weekends. And who doesn’t love a good taco?
Healthier Microwave Chocolate Cake: This is a gem of a recipe that I’m obsessed with- to the point that I had to make a healthier alternative because I enjoy them so much! In two minutes flat, you get a warm, chocolate-y cake that pairs perfectly with a scoop of ice cream on top
Pumpkin Snickerdoodles: Talk about an amazing recipe for fall. These cookies might be some of my favorites of all time, and they’re perfect for the season. Soft, pumpkin-y goodness all in snickerdoodle form- heck yeah!
Mediterranean Pesto Pasta: I think this was actually my favorite recipe of the month- While I’ve been trying not to indulge in too many carbs, this is a bowl I can’t live without. Tons of pesto, vegetables and cheese make for a delicious dinner.
Easy Cinnamon Rolls: So these rocked my face off, and if you haven’t tried them yet, I think they will for you, too. The best part? These cinnamon rolls take only an hour to make!
And finally, Mayo-Free Chicken Salad: I LOVE chicken salad, and I’m not so crazy about mayo- so I made a lighter, mayo-free version of the classic sandwich filling with creamy, nutritious avocados. I really love this recipe and can’t wait to keep making it!
Recipes I gotta try:
As we settle into autumn, the food blogs have been reacting accordingly, with tons and tons of seasonal recipes, slow-cooker staples, and of course, PUMPKIN. Here are a few recipes I’ve been loving this month and can’t wait to try myself:
- Makeahead Sausage Breakfast Casserole from Fifteen Spatulas
- Apple Pie Cookies from Hungry Couple
- Pumpkin Biscoff Swirl Brownies from Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Golden Chocolate Creme Cupcakes from Java Cupcake
- Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake from The Messy Baker
Other things from September:
- Ziplist – I’ve implemented the “Save” button on all my recipes so you can save recipes directly to your Ziplist account. Ziplist is a super easy way to make grocery lists on the go based on recipes you want to make- it’s a mobile app as well as web app that makes shopping for food just a bit easier!
- September birthdays – It was my birthday last Friday (yay!), my dad’s birthday on the 13th, my cousin and aunt’s on the 8th, my other cousin’s on the 1st, and my flower girl’s yesterday, and… oh gosh, yes September is an important month for my friends and family! Not to mention, it was my parents’ 32nd wedding anniversary last Thursday and TODAY is my future sister-in-law’s birthday! Happy birthday, Amelia!!!
- Dinner with the Cooking Actress - I had a lovely dinner with my buddy Kayle from The Cooking Actress early on this month at Westville, one of my favorite spots to get a great, casual meal in NYC. I love that girl- we talked a lot about our lives, our blogs, the men in our lives and of course, the future! So fun seeing her and eating some delicious grub.
- Food Bloggers in NYC Meetup – As you may know, I run the Food Bloggers in NYC Meetup group and we will have had two really fun events this month- last week, the kind folks at Papaya King (the original hot dog/papaya juice joint in NYC!) hosted a few of us for all-you-can-eat delicious dogs and all the fixings (including those amazing papaya drinks!). We learned all about the restaurant’s history and had a great time doing it. And tonight, a cooking education startup called Cook & Go in Chelsea is hosting our group for an awesome cooking class! Expect to see more about that later this week!
- Wedding Stuff - Not surprisingly, a LOT of wedding prep got done this month- printing out place cards and church programs, dress fittings, seating charts, meetings with the florist and more all got done! 11 days and counting, baby!
What’s coming up in October:
- Wedding - Well, this one is pretty self-explanatory: I’M GETTING MARRIED in October! YEAHHH!!
- Honeymoon - First comes love, then comes marriage, then PJ and Mally go to Aruba for over a week! I cannot WAIT to spend some quality time with the beach so soon! Expect to see some highlights from the trip once I’m back
- Guest Posts - In order to help me keep posting for you all while I’m away, you’ll be seeing some lovely guest posts from Betsy from Java Cupcake, and Susan from Girl in the Little Red Kitchen, and potentially some others. I’m so incredibly thankful to these ladies for helping me out while I’m away- and I sincerely hope you enjoy their posts! Check their blogs out now to see the kinds of yummy stuff they make on the regular!
Woof! What a roundup- like I said, September was FUN. Thanks as always for reading, and see you in October!