Eggs for breakfast are one of my favorite treats. I usually have a pretty hard time deciding between salty or sweet if I’m going out for brunch, but there really is nothing quite like an omelet, or a fried egg on toast, or eggs benedict to start off your day.
One of my preferred ways to prepare eggs for breakfast is just to simply scramble them. This might sound weird, but I really just love doing the scrambling in the pan as the egg starts to cook through- the way the texture changes before my very eyes as I keep stirring is a little mesmerizing. Plus, scrambling is pretty much fool proof- you’re not going for the perfect, beautiful soft roundness of a poached egg, or the flawless flipping of an omelet- you’re just getting right in there and making a delicious mess on purpose!
Over the weekend, I tried something totally different for me with my scrambled eggs- I added some diced avocado! At first I was worried it would do something funky with the texture, but it actually complemented the eggs perfectly. I love how avocado adds that unique creamy texture to anything it’s added to, and it really takes some normal humdrum eggs over the top.
I’ve been meaning to say thank you to OXO for sending me some pretty egg-scellent kitchen tools last month, including an egg beater, an omelet turner, and a 3-in-1 Egg Separator. This is pretty crazy, but I’ve never actually owned an egg beater in my life, and never really felt the need to have one- until I got this one! I always thought egg beaters were hard to clean, but the OXO Egg Beater has easily removable whisks and comes apart to put in the dishwasher when I’m done. It makes cooking omelets a breeze and was very useful in mixing the eggs for this breakfast super fluffy.
I’m also obsessed with their Flip & Fold Omelet Turner they sent me- and I have to admit, I’ve been using it for more than just omelets. The flat turner part bends easily to get under anything in the pan, but is structurally sound enough to help you make the flip cleanly and without breaking anything. Plus, it’s basically covered in rubber which is good for my klutzy self who is constantly dropping things (sorry about that flower vase, PJ…)
Anyways, this breakfast. It’s pretty awesome. Check out the recipe here:
- 1 tbsp canola oil or butter
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ avocado, diced
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- In a pan over medium heat, heat up the oil or butter until it coats the pan. Add the onion and cook until translucent and starting to soften, about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, cheese and salt and pepper. I also added the crushed red pepper flakes because I like a kick in the pants in the morning.
- Once the onions are looking nice and starting to soften, add the egg and cheese to the pan. Using a rubber spatula or turner and a light touch, start pushing the eggs around till they start to scramble. The idea here isn’t to cook the eggs so much that they get hard and rubbery, but rather to keep them fluffy and soft, so no pressing down on the eggs to cook them through. You should only need a minute or two to cook the eggs.
- Once the eggs are completely opaque, remove the pan from the heat, add the avocado and toss. Garnish with cilantro and serve!
Adapted from Epicurious.
You know I couldn’t have these without a healthy dollop of Frank’s Red Hot (I put that $%!@ on everything!) and a little extra cheese on top… YUM!
Check out some other egg-straordinary breakfast recipes:
PS. My thanks to OXO for providing me with these tools! As always, all opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any other way for this post.