Woah. It’s Thanksgiving next week. Have you finalized your menu? Luckily, this year I’m only responsible for dessert, but last year when I hosted the whole shebang, these babies were one of my favorite sides.
I know, brussels sprouts, right? Blah. Every child’s worst nightmare. Who goes around doing a dance for brussels sprouts? I don’t even think Belgians love brussels sprouts.
Well, SURPRISE! because these are the best things ever! All thanks to Ina Garten, who likens these to french fries in her recipe on Food Network. French fries. Yes. Something we can all get down with. Or do a dance for. OK fine, I like to dance about vegetables.
This is an amazing side for Thanksgiving or any dinner. I love them with a nice roasted chicken or turkey, alongside a standing rib roast, or even just on their own. They come out with a flavor that is seasoned, caramelized and salty, and are so good that any memory of the dreaded bitter flavor of steamed brussels sprouts is immediately replaced with instant satisfaction and cravings for more.
- 1½ lbs Brussels sprouts (whole or halved, your preference)
- 3 tbsp good olive oil
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400° F.
- Trim your sprouts- this means removing any yellow or brown outer leaves, and trimming the stalks off the bottom. Toss in a bowl with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper.
- Place seasoned sprouts on a baking sheet, and spread out so that they are in a single layer. Bake for 35-40 minutes, checking in every 15 minutes to either shake the pan or flip the sprouts with a spatula so they don’t burn.
- If you’d like, season with more salt once cooked and toss again, then serve immediately. Enjoy!
Recipe from Ina Garten on Food Network.
High in Vitamin C and fiber, and low in calories, these are a great way to “indulge” in a yummy side during the holidays. I’m definitely hoping these are on the table this year, when we head to my parents’ house for prosicutto-wrapped turkey breast. Wait, let me repeat that- Prosciutto. Wrapped. Turkey. Breast.
Pardon me while I go make myself a sandwich- typing that out made me even more hungry than usual!
Happy Eating 🙂