My dear friend Bec is doing some serious charitable giving for the team she’s on for the ING New York City Marathon, so in the spirit of giving back and eating well, she threw a fundraiser lunch for a bunch of friends on her rooftop this past Saturday.
Let me tell you, even if there wasn’t an aspect of raising money for charity involved, I would have thrown money at her anyway for the quality and effort she put into making this magnificent meal for us.
From carrot dip, to baba ghanoush, to homemade hummus, to baklava and everything in between, this was an amazing feast.
By far my favorite part of the meal were these delicious Mediterranean meatballs, available made with either beef or turkey. They were so delicious that I may have eaten 4. Of each kind. Oops.
Here’s the recipe from Bec’s mum for the turkey meatballs- These are perfect for any party! Bec served them along side a red pepper sauce (recipe coming later!)- but these would be great stuffed in a pita, served with tzatziki, or whatever strikes your fancy!
- ½ cup corn (can use frozen)
- 3 slices white bread (stale or day-old preferable)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 4 scallions, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2½ tsp cumin
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook the corn until blackened, then remove to a large bowl.
- Soak bread in cold water, then squeeze well & crumble into the bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- This is going to sound weird- but coat your hands in oil, and roll meatballs with your hands to coat. Bake for 20 mins, flipping the meatballs once to brown evenly.
And if you’re feeling charitable today, please donate on Bec’s page to help raise money for “Fred’s Team,” which supports lifesaving cancer research at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center here in New York. It’s an amazing cause and a great way to give back. Donate by clicking the button below!
Thank you Bec and family for sharing this meal with us and sharing this recipe!
For more pictures from the gorgeous day, check out my Flickr set.
Happy Eating 🙂