One of my favorite things to eat for breakfast is a fried egg sandwich. When I was in high school, my mom taught me how to make them simply with toast, cheese, and perhaps a pan-seared tomato on top. Today, I love them on a bagel, bread, or any other yummy carb!
If you have spent any time around me in the last few months, you know that my latest obsession is tacos. Carnitas, chicken, pescado, al pastor- you name the type, and I am there. So I figured, why not make my own taco, breakfast style?
These are SO simple and cheap to make, and very filling. Lots of protein, lots of flavor- you can not go wrong!
- ½ tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- ¼ red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp shredded cheese (I used cheddar jack)
- 1 flour tortilla
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, crack the egg into the pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Add 1 tbsp diced red pepper directly into the egg. I usually poke the yolk with my spatula to let it start running, but if you like your yolk in tact, leave it alone as the egg starts to cook through.
- Once the whites are opaque and the egg moves around easily when slid underneath with a spatula, around 2-3 minutes, carefully flip over and cook on the other side. Add cheese on top of the egg, and cover the cheese and egg with a tortilla. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, and flip again so the tortilla is on the bottom. Allow the tortilla to crisp up in the pan as you sprinkle the egg with some additional cheese, if desired.
- Remove tortilla and egg to a plate, and garnish with additional diced pepper and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
OK, so maybe these look more like open-face breakfast quesadillas. But any way you eat them, they are delicioso!
You can go nuts with whatever toppings strike your fancy, or whatever you have on hand in your fridge. I imagine a caprese “taco” would be awesome too- diced tomatoes, fresh mozz and basil? …excuse me while I go make another breakfast!
Happy Eating 🙂