Sometimes, the most simple ideas are the most delicious ones. My boyfriend, even though we live together and all I think about is food alldayeveryday, doesn’t always feel like making (or eating) some elaborate meal that takes hours to make, or even one that takes more than a few easy steps. Born out of necessity one evening after a busy day, my man stepped up big time and made us an easy but surprisingly rich and delicious “pizza” out of a few easy ingredients available at any store.
Needless to say, I’m happy whenever I don’t have to do any work in the kitchen but still manage to get a hot meal. Girl’s gotta eat!
This is a twist on the classic English muffin pizza- with some grown-up tweaks. When you’re making a recipe with only a few ingredients, its really important to make sure each one is super high quality.
He used a crusty, fresh organic French baguette, real, fresh mozzarella, uncured and smokey pepperoni, and even fresh herbs to really make this a fun, but refined way to enjoy dinner when you don’t have a lot of time or energy.
PJ’s Easy French Bread Pizza
- one baguette
- around 1 cup tomato sauce, enough to cover the bread
- sliced mozzarella, to your liking
- 15-20 pieces pepperoni
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- fresh thyme & basil (optional, for garnish)
1) Pre-heat oven to 350. Cut baguette in half and sliced down the middle sandwich-style to make four long pieces. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
2) Using a spoon, heap a few tablespoons of sauce onto each piece of bread, and smooth over the top with the back of the spoon. Layer each pizza with mozzarella and pepperoni to your liking, and grated parmesan if using.
3) Bake pizzas for 10 minutes, or when cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and garnish with fresh basil and thyme.
As you can see, there’s one li’l guy in there with no pepperoni- believe it or not, it’s mine. This is probably blasphemy, but I’m not a huge fan of it on pizza. I will eat it straight out the package though! (TMI?)
Happy Eating 🙂