Seriously, what did I do before I had a grill?
The full utility of our apartment had truly not been realized until summertime finally rolled around. Having the patio out back is like having a whole other room- the catch being that it’s only available about half the year, which is kind of a bummer.
But the first time the thermometer rose above 65, at some point in May, I shook off the black grill cover, fired up the propane tank, and waited with anticipation as I repeatedly cranked the ignition knob. Once those orange flames started licking the grill plates, I knew I was in business.
Granted, I am no grill master (yet). But I am starting to think that anything is better when grilled. Chicken, onions, even kielbasa- so much more delicious when cooked over the open flame. And this zucchini is no exception!
What makes this even more special is the marinade. Grilling makes the zucchini perfectly tender and juicy on the inside, but gives a nice crisp to the exterior, allowing for all the flavors to remain contained within. Go nuts with adjusting your marinade here- I just chose a bunch of my favorite flavors and went for it!
- 1 zucchini, cut into 3/4″ slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
1) Combine all ingredients in a plastic food storage bag, and shake vigorously to coat all sides of the zucchini slices. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes, preferably more.
2) Heat up grill to high. Place zucchini slices on grill, and let cook for 4 minutes on each side, until tender. Remove to plate and serve warm.
I wish that I could have had some better pictures outdoors, unfortunately I was losing light at the late hour so the outside pics don’t do these zukes justice.
I served this alongside some boneless skinless chicken breasts, marinated for an hour in barbecue sauce, which I also grilled (obviously). So simple- but SO delicious!
What’s your favorite food to grill? For real- I want more ideas! 🙂
Happy Eating 🙂