Is there anything more divine and downright delicious than a buttery, slightly crisp crumble crust, layered on top of warm, sweet-tart berries?
I submit to you there is not. OK, this situation could get even better if there’s some ice cream nearby. But let’s not get out of hand here!
These crumbles are like mini berry crisps- perfect for dessert, or even as a special treat for breakfast if you’re feeling decadent (no comment as to whether or not I am eating one right now as I write this post in the morning). They’re kind of a melange of the Apple Crisp I made a while back, but put into nice li’l individual packages, and using some awesome frozen blueberries to make prep even easier.
If you would like to bring out the tartness of the berries to the next level, I recommend adding a few tablespoons of lemon juice to the berry mixture before layering the crumble on top and baking.
Mini Blueberry Crumbles
Makes 6 5-oz crumbles
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 oz butter, cold and cut into smaller pieces
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup oats
- 8 ounces frozen berries (blueberries or raspberries)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons cornstarch
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) To make the crisp topping, place the flour, brown sugar, butter, nuts and oats into the bowl of a food processor and pulse for 5-10 seconds, until everything is incorporated.
3) Place the frozen blueberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch and 1/2 cup of the crisp topping into a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine. Divide the mixture evenly between 6 (5-6 oz) ramekins.
4) Top each ramekin with 1/2 cup of the remaining crisp topping. Place the ramekins on a sheet pan and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is browned. Allow the crisps to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Om nom nom!!
Happy Eating 🙂