One of my favorite little shops in Hoboken is a store that specializes in one thing and one thing only: Rice Pudding. The place is called Miami Rice, and even thinking about it now brings up taste-memories of Don Johnston, creamy smooth rice pudding, and Philip Michael Thomas. I had never had rice pudding before stopping in here on my way home from work- and since that fateful day, I’ve been hooked.
Now that I don’t live as close to that palace of all things sweet ‘n ricey, I decided it was time to try making this treat on my own. I always have some short-grain rice on hand for when I get the urge for some risotto- and the rest of the ingredients are pretty much always in my kitchen too. So I donned my wayfarers, blazer and mono-chrome tee shirt, and got to work.
I found this recipe from one of my new favorite food blogs: Simply Recipes. Talk about a good name for a blog! Next time, I might try adding some cocoa powder, or even some coconut flakes to this for more flavor.
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup uncooked short grain white rice (arborio works great)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- handful chocolate chips, or whatever mix-ins you like
1) In a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring the milk, rice and salt to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
2) In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg and brown sugar until well mixed. Add a half cup of the hot rice mixture to the egg mixture, a tablespoon at a time, vigorously whisking to incorporate.
3) Add egg mixture back into the saucepan of rice and milk and stir, on low heat, for 10 minutes or so, until thickened. Be careful not to have the mixture come to a boil at this point. Stir in the vanilla. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips (or other toppings you prefer).
Serve warm or cold- and enjoy!
What are your favorite toppings for rice pudding? On an unrelated note, what is your favorite Miami Vice episode?
Happy Eating 🙂