This might be one of the simplest, most delicious dishes out there. Only a few ingredients, most of which you’ll probably already have in your pantry. You can even use store-bought hummus if you don’t feel like making it, but as you saw in a previous post, even THAT’s easy to throw together in a sec. In the taste-to-actual-work-done ratio, this dish goes off the charts.
I categorized this as Speedy Noms due to the very minimal amount of work you have to do to prepare it, but it will still take around 30-35 minutes for the chicken to cook through, depending on how thick the chicken filets are.
I actually found this recipe from the same Gwyneth Paltrow-endorsed Clean Eats diet recipe packet as the hummus. However much fad diets make me cringe, this one had a bunch of ingredients I’d eat anyway, and honestly, it really came out delicious. If you’re only cooking for one, this is a perfect job for the toaster oven if you have one.
And when it comes down to it, who doesn’t love hummus?
Lemony Hummus-Crusted Chicken
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 2 lemons, (1 sliced into rounds and 1 juiced)
- 1 cup hummus (storebought or use this recipe)
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs (or 2 tbsp dried)
- Generous drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Place the chicken breasts in a small roasting pan, covering all exposed meat with the hummus (use a spoon or your hands, just make sure it’s layered quite
thick, about 1/4”).
- Scrunch each lemon round in your hand and then loosely arrange them over the chicken with the rosemary sprigs, broken into smaller pieces, so the flavor
comes out more.
- Generously drizzle the entire mix with lemon juice and then a quick drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Bake until the hummus is golden brown and the meat is juicy and tender (checking with a knife to make sure it’s cooked all the way through), about
- Finish with another quick drizzle of lemon juice and an optional pinch of sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Looks great right? Well, this is one of those dishes that tastes even better than it looks! The hummus keeps the chicken super moist, and infuses it with tons of flavor. Enjoy!
Happy Eating 🙂