Nothing says “pre-game” like preparing a well-balanced, flavorful, home-cooked meal, right?
Well that’s exactly what me and my two best girls, Emily and Devin, did last night in preparation for the trek to the housewarming of our other best girl, Morgan in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn. I had found this recipe online at Real Simple from their Daily Recipe RSS feed earlier in the week, and even though it didn’t strike me as potentially having a lot of flavor, I thought it would be a good back-pocket recipe for those times where you can turn to your pantry and make something simple and pretty healthy.
The best part about this dish is that it’s pretty much entirely hands off- the chicken spends about 45 minutes in the oven getting infused with a surprisingly rich and delicious sauce that comes from the beans and tomatoes. Perfect for when you’d rather be getting ready for the night than standing over a stove stirring something or another.
We paired this with sauteed spinach, a baguette, and of course some white wine!
Chicken With White Beans and Tomatoes
(adapted from Real Simple, originally by Sang An)
- 1 15.5-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano, plus leaves for garnish
- 2-4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (or whatever spice you like)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 bone-in whole chicken legs, or breasts if you prefer
1. Heat oven to 425° F. In a 9-by-13-inch (or some other large) baking dish, toss the beans and tomatoes with the thyme and oregano sprigs, garlic, paprika, 1 tablespoon of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
2. Pat the chicken dry and place on top of the bean mixture, skin-side up. Rub with the remaining tablespoon of oil; season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
3. Roast until the chicken is golden and cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle with the oregano leaves.
Happy Eating 🙂